Thursday 3 March 2016


The last week of school visits, family visits and twinning activities.

Saran and Dan had planned to visit Gorkha from Monday the 8th to Wednesday the 10th to get the agreements signed for the new classrooms that Manisha are going to provide and to collect their bank details so that the Manisha could make the first bank transfer so the school could start work. During their time away I thought that I would make the most of it and do some washing. I was then planning on going to Bagnas to work with some of the children to complete some twinning activities for me to take back to the UK and send out to their twin school. My mission over the next couple of weeks was to complete this with most of the schools except a couple which Dan said that he would do with the school.

I was planning on going to Bagnas on the Day that Saran ad Dan arrived back in Palpa, but surprise, surprise there was a holiday so instead we went to Dhanni’s village as he wanted to see his mother and he had a trident that the family was going to donate to the local temple so that was also being delivered. Janaki, Dhani and I also were also accompanied by two other guests, which is always nice as visits to the village are normally quite busy for the family, but can be extremely slow for any visitors that are invited.

Saran and I then had a very busy Thursday as we visited both Bhalebas and Dumre to complete twinning activities. This was also the last time that I will be visiting these schools as I finish work on the 20th to go to Kathmandu to meet my friend Hollie who is flying out to meet me and to spend my last month travelling around the country seeing it from a tourists perspective. We went into two different classes in Bhalebas but in Dumre we multi-tasked and after explaining to the children what they were supposed to do we were then able to keep an eye on both classrooms and then collect their work. Some of which was really amazingly done, some of the children in Dumre really have a talent when it comes to art, although it is such a shame that this is not really recognised in the Nepali education system. 


I finally managed to get to Bagnas on the 12th and, as always, I was very surprised with the standard of drawing from the children at Bagnas. They were a little unsure of how to use the freedom we gave them to create an annotated drawing so out of the 30 children that we worked with we had about many replicas of the same 5 different designs. The children were very proud to show off their work to be and loved the high fives that were given for completed drawings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment