Thursday 3 March 2016


And then it was time to pack up and move on, to be returning in a couple of weeks. Goodbye Tansen.

On Saturday the 13th Dan and I were invited to the Montessori school that Sargar is heavily involved with. There was an open day to celebrate the god of education. So the school had put on a show for the parents to come in and watch. I can whole heartedly say that this was the closest thing to a school production that the parents would come into see in the UK that I have seen in Nepal. The main point being that this Montessori production was child orientated and it only lasted a couple of hours. Compared to the hours and hours that children and adults have to endure during some of the school anniversaries that I have witnessed in Nepal.

Sunday the 14th Saran and I then went to Pipaldanda to complete some more twinning activities. We were able to fit around half of the school in the carpeted room upstairs and Saran and I explained what the children were being asked to do. But to nor surprise of us the children’s drawings were very similar and they hadn’t thought very much for themselves. But, their drawings were very good and it was obvious that the children were very proud of what they had produced and they were keen to show their work off to me and to their teachers.

The following day the Monday the 15th Saran and I got back on the bike for my last bike ride and headed to Jheksang. Here we worked with classes 3 and 4 to do the twinning activity. The school has demolished 2 classrooms and the 2 new classrooms are government funded. This means that the schools doesn’t have enough rooms currently so classes 3 and 4 are together and nursery has also been moved. But this worked in our favour as we were able to do the twinning activity at the same time with all the children that were in the right classroom. The head teacher was away from school doing some business so we were able to complete the twinning activity and then head back to Tansen.

I spent Tuesday the 16th with Janaki shopping. I had seen a really lovely bed sheet hung on someone’s washing line and asked Janaki if we could find something like it in Tansen. Turns out we couldn’t but I was able to get some other bits before I left and I was able to write a spices list to make dhal bhat and masala tea. I’m sure though when I try to make it at home it won’t even be half as good as what Janaki makes.

I had a really exciting Wednesday. I spent the day doing the last bits of my washing. Before then going to Amrit for their school anniversary day on Thursday the 18th. We were told that the day we were going was the day of dancing so we were hoping that we would be able to watch lots of dancing. Saran got bored very quickly and my and Dan’s hopes of seeing lots of dancing were very quickly shattered as of the 3 hours that we were there we only saw about 5 minutes of dancing. The teachers were very keen that I stayed the night as it was my last visit but I had to explain that the next day was for me to pack up my room.


There was a family wedding coming up on Saturday and Dhanni was already there but Janaki left on Friday. Abhi was in Butwal for a school competition so another relative came to look after the house. I offered that we should get some momo for supper that evening but he was very keen to try and make dhal bhat. As it was his first attempt I was pretty impressed and he was very enthusiastic about learning how to cook, which was good to see that young men are keen to learn how to cook.


No comments:

Post a Comment