Wednesday 25 November 2015

What a truly inspiring visit at Bhalebas.

So on the 22nd I had to make my own way to Bhalebas. I’d had caught a few buses on long journeys which had always been fine, this time it was a short 20 minute ride and Saran met me at the other end to take me up the track to the school. I was, as always, greeted very warmly by all the staff and the children.

I couldn’t have been happier with the effort that Bhalebas have put in, not only in displaying and using the resources that we have brought previously; but also the ways that the teachers were so easily adopting our teaching approaches. 80% of the lessons I saw were brilliant with teachers using different resources and most of the children in the classes engaged.

I was only planning on staying in Bhalebas one night and going to Dumre the following day, but in true Nepali style the meeting was put off a day so I got to stay in Bhalebas another night, which I was more than happy about. So after breakfast at Saran’s house we chatted in the staff room about what I was going to do that day. I chose again to do another day of observing- making sure I saw the teachers that I had missed the day before.

The second day at Bhalebas was no disappointment either, the teachers here from what I can see don’t exactly write a lesson plan but they’re bringing resources to the lessons which means they’ve at least thought about what they’re going to do that lesson.

As I think I have said in previous blogs, Saran’s house was really badly damaged in the earthquake. He’s currently in the process of building his new home and I can’t believe how quickly the walls have gone up. With the current fuel shortage, getting materials has been a real struggle and has meant that there was a delay to the building. But, finally, things are looking really great. Three bedrooms a sitting room and a kitchen with a small balcony at the front too.

On the 24th, after my second breakfast at Saran's house, Saran
and I made our way, on his motorbike, to Dumre which is fairly close to Bhalebas. Again we were very warmly greeted by the head teacher and the members of staff. The meeting here was to discuss the building plans for the four new classrooms that we’re planning to fund. The school has agreed to supply the labour and Manisha UK will then supply the materials. It was a very positive meeting and it’s a big relief to know that we both have the same expectations.
As the school was so badly affected by the earthquake, with already very poor classrooms, the government along with a Korean charity are funding two classrooms. Which is good to see that Dumre are getting help from elsewhere too.

Unfortunately, after watching BBC news at Saran’s house the first morning I was there and talking to Saran it’s become very obvious that the trouble and the blockades at the boarders don’t seem to be getting any better. Two people were killed by police and an ambulance and a truck full of medical supplies have been torched. I’m constantly thinking how lucky we are in Tansen as the only effect we’re seeing at the moment is the rise in fuel prices as we’re having to buy it off of the black market.



No comments:

Post a Comment