Saturday 21 November 2015

My last week with Barbara and even less fuel and gas.

Barbara and I started our 6th week by going to Butwal to go shopping for resources among other things. Butwal is a large town on the edge of the flat, hot, Teri region of Nepal. We were expecting it to a very hot trip but as winter has started to set in it was a lot cooler than both of us anticipated. We bought a good range of Science books and other books for older children including some biographies for the school libraries. We also bought some more essentials; laminating pouches and whiteboard markers as well as some Montessori type toys for younger children.

Barbara and I then worked through Thursday 12th making and designing more resources to get made and put together for when I start visiting schools. I’ve spent a lot of time photocopying and laminating different resources for all ages so then I can work with the teachers and show them the learning that can happen through play.

Friday the 13th (unlucky for some) was the main day of Tihar. Tihar is the Nepali equivalent to the Indian festival of Diwali. There are 5 days of Tihar; first is the day of the crow to celebrate their uses as a messenger, second is the day of the dog and they loyalty is celebrathed (even though most dogs are strays), the third was the day of the cow and the god of wealth Laxmi, the fourth is the day of the ox and is celebrated for their uses for farming and the fifth day is the main day of Tihar where brothers and sisters celebrate each other. Although this wasn’t the first time I have been in Nepal for Tihar it is the first time that I have experienced it in such an inclusive way. Dhanni and Abhi had been invited to the village for the main day so they left early in the morning. So at the homestay there was Barbara, me, Janaki, a French man and his Nepali friend and two guests from Belgium. We celebrated with Tika and as you can see, so much food. Janaki had spent the previous days cooking solidly for Tihar.When Dhani and Abhi returned from the village that evening, I gave Abhi a small gift that I had got for him when we were in Pokhara.

Wednesday was a very special day for two reasons. Sadly, it was the day that Barbara left us and travelled to Kathmandu; but is was also the day I was supposed to graduate. We said our goodbyes to Barbara and wished her well for her journey back to the UK. And then scrolling down my Facebook news feed later that day, there was a flood of the most beautiful pictures of everyone from my course graduating. So proud of my friends for working so hard- we definitely all deserved it! It was a tough gruelling three years but we can safely say that all of those assignments are nicely behind us.



Thursday was then a strange day looking out of my door for Barbara and her not being there! A very strange adjustment as we grew so close after an intense 2 months. I then met with Saran late morning to give him some money for the mini whiteboards that he’d ordered for the schools and 3 big ones to replace broken ones. I then spent some time labelling and stamping books so they are ready to be distributed to schools.

The following day I had a short meeting with Saran and Sargar to talk through the next steps that we need to take before building starts at Dumre and Mahachap. As I am not qualified in building and have very little experience in building I’m gathering all the advice I can get.

Then the next couple of days over the weekend have been quiet I’ve been making the most of the beautiful weather sat on the balcony making resources and designing new posters on my laptop to then go and get them printed soon and then distributed to the schools. I've also been dreading the day that the gas runs out for the kitchen and our hot shower. Such a privilege in Nepal, but once the gas has gone I'm sure that it will be missed! 


This coming week I’m hoping to visit, Bhalebas, Dumre and Okhaldunga. As there is only me and Saran now travelling is a little easier as we can go on the motorbike. Sargar went to a place near the boarder and bought 150L of fuel on the black market and we bought 20L off of him so that should keep us going for a while, fingers crossed

No comments:

Post a Comment